Thursday 3 February 2011

ENAMELLING EXPERIMENTS

I have at last found time to complete this enamelled concertina book.
I set myself the challenge of combining transfers with drawn images and experimenting with a variety of contemporary enamelling techniques. The construction was also a challenge, making the hinges and riveting the black moth onto the piece.
The copper is first etched in ferric chloride and the wings are cut with a piercing saw.
With so much going on with the shapes, textures and drawing I thought it would be best to keep it all simple and keep to black and white. I am so relieved that it all folds flat on itself.
It is the little triumphs that keep me going!


8 comments:

layers said...

what a fascinating technique with lovely textured results.

Jennifer Tetlow said...

Any challenges you may have had have been beautifully overcome. This piece is heavenly!

Murgatroyd said...

What a beautiful piece of work!

Gail Brodholt said...

I can just see one of those displayed open on my mantelpiece - although I guess that the method may be too labour intensive to market them?
Very beautiful....

Sara Bowen said...

Not so much a little triumph as a very big one - it's lovely! I am very impressed (and have enamelling kiln envy, but that's my problem). I'll look forward to the next wonderful enamelled piece you make! Sara x

Carrie said...

I absolutely love it! It looks so magical and delicate.

no one said...

So pretty is all of that saw-pierced ?

Unknown said...

acid etched rather than lazer cut?!!