Monday 31 December 2012

HOPE IS THE THING WITH FEATHERS.

I have spent the last day of 2012 in the shed making enamel sketches.
Four pieces of steel covered in flux and white enamel.
Gold and silver leaf,
and my favourite transfers.
They could be straight out of my sketch book.
 
"Hope" is the thing with feathers-
That perches in the soul-
And sings the tune without the words-
And never stops-at all-
 
And sweetest-in the Gale-is heard-
And sore must be the storm-
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm-
 
I've heard it in the chilliest land-
And on the strangest Sea-
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb-of Me.
 
Happy and creative New Year.
 
(for Carolyn)
 

7 comments:

Caroline said...

Beautiful!

LAC EMP 2020 said...

A lovely way to remember Carolyn. Here's to another successful year ahead. x

ArtPropelled said...

Lovely! Happy New Year to you, Sue!

Wendy Rhodes said...

Lovely loose drawing Sue, I really like the second image down, he's very pleased with his find! Happy New Yearx

Sara Bowen said...

I've really enjoyed your blog, Sue, and I love your final 2012 feathers. Your blog post title caught my eye as my friend Angela Callanan uses the same phrase with her book work. Hope you have a great 2013 and I'm looking forward to reading all about it here! Sara x

morag said...

Your bird sketches are quite beautiful. Facinated by the enamel elements and gold leaf.

Pauline Coddington said...

These are lovely but what is an enamel sketch, Sue?