Friday 16 May 2014

PLAY DAYS (DAZE)

Every now and then I need to learn a new process...as if my head was not full enough! The best way to do this is to ask a chum round to play. My lovely friend Lesley (Printed Material) travelled all the way from Wales to spend time in my shed to work out how to do Kitchen Litho.
It all seemed fairly simple, foil, cola, oil, sponges and greasy drawing materials
Lesley and I followed several instructions. We even sat down and watched a Utube video together, it all looked very simple.
We are practical women, use to process led ways of working.
And we did eventually manage one print, which I could then not repeat!! Ooooh!!
Better foil, fresh cola, do folk who tell us how to do this miss out that crucial bit of info that makes it work? Have you got the secret? Or is it a hit and miss process? I will have another go when I have time, but so I could end the day on a practical high...sharing the day with Lesley was my emotional boost,
I had a go at this. Fresh photo copy, acetone and an iron. This resist method I got from one of my favourite books, Semiprecious Salvage: Creating Found Art Jewellery, Stephanie Lee. It will allow me to make photographic looking images etched into metal. Here I have used ferric chloride to etch the copper. It will be an alternative to a method of resist I learnt on the Guild of Enamellers Conference workshop a few weeks ago where I had a go at electro etch.
On that workshop we used PNP ironed onto steel, similar method, different stuff.
Backed with tape and an electrode taped into the back of the steel.
Then attached to a car battery recharger and sat in salty water.
The results are spectacular. So I am going to try the iron and acetone photocopy method to resist the etch as it is cheaper than PNP and not quite so fiddly. Watch this space!
 
 
There are lots of books and Utube videos about all these methods, the resist methods will be useful to my work, but I have to admit, for me life is too short for litho. With all these lovely processes out there my only advice to you is before embarking on hours of experimentation, think how you would incorporate this method into your work. But don't stop experimenting.

3 comments:

Olga Norris said...

It's always fun to experiment with a friend - it can be a great laugh. But I must admit that your Kitchen Litho looks a bit messy for me. I shall stick with the polyester litho plates which have given be good results. I shall keep an eye out, however, to see if you conquer your process!

LAC EMP 2020 said...

I just knew you'd go back to doing something after I left! So glad it wasn't the kitchen litho. Time to chalk that technique up to experience I think and leave it to others. I found my acetone today and now I've seen the results, I'll definitely be giving the transfer a try. Brilliant day... lovely to see you despite our lack of success. x

Manos L. Symeonakis said...

Hi, I've been following your blog for a while... For kitchen Litho, yes you'll be needing greasy crayons (or litho crayons) and instead of oil you'll need vinegar plain vinegar, not caramel stuff that's out in the market nowdays... plain vinegar will do the trick.